Moving to a new home can be a stressful experience coupled with questions and uncertainties. Sometimes, you need to decide whether hiring a top-rated moving company to help you move your belongings is the right thing to do. And when you choose to put a lot of trust and confidence in professional movers, you’ll start asking yourself if you should tip them. Tipping professionals, for instance, can be a delicate matter. You don’t want to appear unthankful for the hard work these people did, but you also don’t want to over-tip them.
To get the right answers for these uncertainties, here’s what you need to know about tipping your movers.
What is Tipping Movers All About?
Typically, tipping your moving crew is something you’re not mandated to do. Although it’s not obligatory on your part, it’s a common way of showing your gratitude for a job well done. While most of them don’t expect a tip from you, the same is highly appreciated when they’re given. Remember, a tip is a nice gesture showing that you’re happy with the service you received from them.
Things To Consider When Tipping Movers
Before we tackle how much you should tip your moving crew, it’s essential to determine whether they deserve a tip or not. Although you feel you’ve received quality service, below are some considerations to keep in mind when you decide to tip your movers:
1. Quality of service – Under this consideration, you need to assess whether your movers arrive on time. You can also check how they handle their customer service. See if the crew act professionally and respectfully from the time you step inside your home. Know whether the crew member can handle your belongings with care such as wrapping fragile items with blankets or sheets.
2. Processes involved in the relocation – Before you give any tip, it’s also essential to know how complicated your relocation is. For example, if it’s a long distance move, you may have to consider how many days it would take to start and finish the entire moving process. Moreover, think about how big your home is and the things you need to relocate. Determine if there’s a lot of heavy stuff to move to your new house. More importantly, consider how many flights of stairs are involved before loading your boxes to the moving truck.
3. Moving costs – In addition to the quality and complexity of your long distance moves, it’s best to take the final move costs into consideration. See if the packing services are included in the moving services. Know if you need to pay for the expenses in a lump sum or installment basis. In the end, make sure you factor all of these things before you decide how much to tip your movers.
Good Tip Options For Movers
Being in the service industry, moving companies are open-minded with the idea of tipping their crew members for performing a good job. However, the problem begins the moment you don’t know how much you’re going to tip them. Luckily, the solution is simple. You can base the amount of tip to be given to the mover depending on their service performance. Generally,
here’s what a good tip is for experienced movers:
- For a whole day move, giving %12 of the total contract . If the movers work for more than 12 hours, $50 to $60 per person can be a good tip.
- For a small move, which is less than 4 hours, an appropriate amount of tip could be $20-$30 per person.
- If you want to compute your tip on an hourly figure, you can have it between $7 – $8 per hour per mover.
- If there are complicating factors, you may consider adding some to the base amount.
What Are Other Ways To Show Appreciation?
In addition to cash tips, there are also other ways to express your appreciation to your movers. Meaning, tipping movers isn’t only about money. Below are some different ways to keep your movers’ energy level high enough throughout the relocation:
- Offer professional workers refreshing beverages. These can be in the form of sodas, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, or even cold drinking water.
- Offer your helpers sandwiches, pizzas, and other snacks.
- Prepare your bathroom with enough paper towels and liquid soap for your movers’ use.
- Thank each moving crew for the help they’ve done for your move. Your kind words and smile are much appreciated.
- Aside from cash, you can also leave a positive online review as a tip for a high-quality moving service. Reviews play an essential role for people looking for moving companies.
Again, you shouldn’t feel obliged to tip your movers. After all, tipping is an optional way of showing gratitude for an excellent moving service. If you think about giving tips to your professional helpers, keep all the information above in mind. That way, you and your professional helpers can benefit from an excellent moving experience.