The Best Time of Year to Move
Some favor Summer, some prefer Fall, but most people try to avoid moving in the Winter at all costs. The general consensus is that the best time to move is early Spring through late Summer/early Fall. But ultimately, it’s mostly about convenience and preparation rather than exact timing. For example, if you are suddenly forced to move to a new home either locally or long distance, your plan will be entirely different than someone who is meticulously planning when to put their home on the market. In this article, we’ll explore the rationale for moving in each of the seasons, and then provide a surefire way to plan a successful move no matter the time of year.
Barring any sudden, unpredictable circumstances, you’ll want to plan your move around your lifestyle. For those who have smaller children, you may rely heavily on close family and friends, and/or impending school breaks to make it work.
The truth is, sales and rentals typically increase during the Spring and Summer, and then tend to decrease during the Fall and Winter months. In fact, according to CNBC, landlords are more likely to negotiate discounts in the winter months due to lower demand. The chart below clearly shows the spike in the cost of renting a new home beginning in May, and then tapering off in September.
If it’s feasible for you to move in the Fall or Winter, there are benefits to doing so. Besides an abundance of discounts, there are other advantages to consider.
- You won’t suffer in the sweltering heat of Summer: Summer is for fun and relaxation in the sun, and let’s face it, moving is not fun.
- You don’t have to use your well-deserved vacation time to move into your new home. If you can’t swing the move and a vacation financially, use your vacation time to scout out some options for your new home.
- Spring and Summer are the best times to see what a neighborhood is really like. More people are naturally out and about at this time of year, giving you an honest view of the area before making a decision you’ll literally have to live with.
- Give yourself a new home as a gift for the holidays. Moving in and settling into your new home just before the holidays is a great way to start the New Year. Moreover, furniture, appliances, and other household items are also offered at steep discounts in the Winter months.
- Commercial movers may be more willing to extend a discount towards the end of the year.
Roadway Black – White Glove Moving
If you must move suddenly, take advantage of full-service options such as White Glove Moving, in which commercial movers manage the entire moving event, are growing in popularity. Besides the ease with which you can move in and out of your new home, the costs are reasonable. Any time you don’t have to think about packing, shipping, or renting a moving truck is a substantial convenience. Just let the moving company do all the heavy lifting while you focus on the sleek, clean design of your new home. White Glove Moving offers you peace of mind, seasoned movers, extreme care for your property, and the luxury of stress-free moving experience.
Now that you’re equipped with some ideas on the best time to move, hopefully, you will be in control of when and if that happens. The most important thing to remember is that ultimately, you should pick a time of year to move that is most convenient for you; a time that is well aligned with your priorities and schedule. Don’t make a move at any time without doing your due diligence including scoping out the neighborhood you’re thinking about at unusual times. If you have family and friends who are willing and able to help, ask them; an extra hand during your move—whether it’s to babysit or pack—never hurts. Lastly, look into the advantages of White Glove Moving and find out for yourself just how easy moving can be when you leave it to the pros. The staff at Roadway Moving is ready to answer any questions you may have about your next move.