Believe it or not, moving to New York City can be a big deal. No matter how prepared and organized you are, relocating to this greatest city in the world can be really intimidating. That said, there are a variety of ways that can make the transition as smooth as possible. Before you relocate, plan all the details ahead of time to avoid last-minute stress and anxiety. Here’s how you can move to New York City with ease.
- Do a thorough research of the city.
Typically, NYC is a large, dynamic, and culturally diverse city. That’s why you need to learn many things about the city before moving there. Find time to search for books, articles, newspapers, and websites for valuable information about the city. That way, you’ll know what to expect when you get to move there soon.
- Explore the city.
Before moving to NYC, take time to visit and explore the city. Take public transit, visit small shops, pharmacies, grocery stores, and even local restaurants. If possible, bring a notebook with you to take down notes about the places you like the most as well the details you want to remember. Get to know New York City’s five regions such as Brooklyn, Manhattan, The Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island, so you’ll have an idea of what kind of life you might have after the relocation.
- Save money.
Starting life anew in New York City is quite expensive. So, it’s essential that you should have extra money in your bank account before relocating there. From hiring movers to paying rentals on your new place and setting up new utilities, the entire moving process will cost you money. Thus, be prepared by saving in advance of your move.
- Find a new home or apartment.
Search for a new home or apartment in the area you want to live in. However, it would help if you know that the costs of living in NYC are more expensive than other cities in the United States. So, be prepared to spend more money when looking for a new home or apartment. Moreover, think about your daily and weekend transportation needs as well as the safety of the neighborhood before selecting a place to reside.
- Facilitate your move properly.
NYC is a busy city. So, if you don’t want to deal with the last minute stress, make sure you work out all the details of your relocation in advance. This means you have to prep, pack and book movers ahead of time to make your local or long distance moving more successful. Keep these things in mind while facilitating your move to NYC:
- Gather necessary moving supplies and pack as early as possible and sort through your things and get rid of everything you don’t use. Sell or donate some unnecessary items to reduce the number of stuff you plan to move.
- Label your moving boxes accordingly to make unpacking much easier and faster.
- Ask quotes from at least three different moving companies and review their credentials such as years of experience, license, insurance and many more before hiring them.
- Check whether they offer packing services that can help you ease the process of boxing your things up in an orderly and efficient manner.
- Book a professional mover right away and make sure the company you choose can transport all your stuff to your new home safely.
- Get storage.
If you’re moving to NYC before your new apartment or home is ready, consider renting a storage space to hold all your possessions once you arrive. This moving tip is an ideal option for people who want more space and less clutter. Also, be sure you work out the storage rentals beforehand to ensure the availability of the unit during the moving day.
The Bottom Line
New York is New York. It’s probably a dynamic and diverse city that houses some of the world’s largest financial centers. Hence, it’s considered the most expensive city to live in. With that in mind, it’s essential to think about the costs involved when moving and living in the Big Apple. Follow these helpful tips so you can make your move a less tedious one.