If you’ve lived in New York City, but you’re looking for a warmer climate to live in, then you may want to consider moving to Phoenix. Being the capital of Arizona, Phoenix is one of the major cities in the United States. That’s the reason why moving to that city can provide a refreshing start for you and your family.
So, if you’re looking for Phoenix to be your next hometown, here’s everything you need to know when moving from NYC to Phoenix right from the very beginning.
Factors To Consider When Moving To Phoenix
Relocating from NYC to Phoenix doesn’t usually come easy. Aside from the moving preparations, it would help if you also get to know the place you’ll want to move in. If you love sunsets and outdoor activities, you’ll surely love to move to Phoenix.
Below are some factors you’ll need to consider before deciding to relocate from NYC to Phoenix:
Phoenix, which is known as the Valley of the Sun, has a warmer climate. Located in the Soonoran Desert, anyone who plans to move there should be prepared to embrace the heat. When the sun starts to shine in the summer, watch out for the draining and unbearable dry heat at times. This is especially true when the temperature rises into the 100 degrees.
If you want to make sure you’re prepared with Phoenix’s hot weather and even dust storms, do the following things:
- Refrain from leaving your mobile phone in the sun as it may overheat.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Drink enough glasses of water to make sure your body has fluids.
- Don’t ever leave your children or pets alone in the car, especially during the summer.
- Park your vehicle in the shade.
- Keep your winter clothes because the weather may feel extremely cold once the summer passes.
There are several communities close to Downtown Phoenix, and the best thing about them is that there’s a ton of things happening in the city. With the modern landscape of the downtown area like in Las Vegas, the neighborhoods of Phoenix are now filled with business ventures, amazing views, and creative energy. Some communities may include Coronado, Arcadia, Grand, Roosevelt Row, and many more.
3. Cost of Living
Compared to Los Angeles, living in Phoenix is more affordable than you’ve ever thought. Even if the jobs are low – paying, the cost of living in Phoenix are more economical than other places. For instance, retirees with fixed income can move to Phoenix without having to worry about their day-to-day expenses. One of the reasons why the city is affordable is the payment of lower property taxes.
If you’re moving to Phoenix without a car, then you may not be making the right choice. Although bus and light rail systems are operating within the city, the problem is that they’re limited in size and they typically serve tourists than residents looking for a public ride. In other words, public transportation rides are relatively difficult, which is why using a car in Phoenix can be an ideal thing to do. Aside from vehicles, biking in that place can also be a way to go to work depending on how proximate your workplace is.
5. Job Market
With more huge companies moving in Phoenix, the job market there is slowly thriving. As technology continues to evolve, private companies, as well as government organizations, are providing more technology opportunities to the residents. For instance, technology-based companies such as Yelp, Uber, and Shutterfly have started operating in the greater metropolitan area.
6. Top Attractions
Like other places in the United States such as San Diego and Washington DC, Phoenix is also a famous place for those million people who are looking with great attractions such a camelback mountain. The city makes sure that you and your family can enjoy a variety of family fun activities and attractions such as the Grand Canyon, Phoenix Zoo, Arizona Science Center, Desert Botanical Garden, and many more. If you want to go outdoors, Phoenix has plenty of outdoor destinations such as Salt River Tubing, Ak-Chin Pavilion, and South Park and Preserve. Moreover, Phoenix is also home to some professional sports, especially golf. It offers more than 200 golf courses plus it has sports teams that participate in four major sports.
These are the factors you need to keep in mind when moving to Phoenix. By getting to know the place you’ll move in, you can be able to convince yourself that the city of Phoenix is the right choice for you, thereby making your life easier once you get settled in.
Things To Do When Planning Your Phoenix Move
Relocating from NYC to Phoenix takes thousands of miles. The drive time, for instance, is approximately 36 hours, which requires thorough planning and preparation. Below are some of the logistical things you may have to consider when making an NYC-Phoenix move:
1. Purge items – Make it a habit to purge things that you no longer need or use. If you have unused books, clothes, shoes, and many more, get rid of them by selling them in a garage sale or donating them to a charity. In other words, don’t ever keep duplicate items when you’re going to move.
2. Gather packing supplies – Before you start packing, make sure to collect some packing materials. These things may include cardboard boxes, tapes, cutters, blankets, bubble wrap, and many more. If you want to save, ask some grocery stores if they have free boxes to give you.
3. Create a packing plan – When you move, you need to pack all your things, including furniture and other fragile items. Thus, you should make a strategic plan to ensure the safe transport of all your stuff to your new home. By packing by category and having a labeling system, you can keep your belongings safe throughout the moving process.
4. Hire a professional moving company – Sometimes, hiring professionals is more reliable than making a DIY move. Unlike moving on your own, working with experienced movers can make the transition less stressful. That’s because of the knowledge and skills held by these professionals in the moving industry. To find the right company, do a background check, and make sure you have at least price quotes to compare. Check whether they have an active license and insurance. Also, reading some online reviews can be a great way to know the performance of your prospective movers. Lastly, ask your family and friends if they have referrals. After all, word-of-mouth recommendations are more powerful than the ones found on the Internet.
The Bottom Line
Again, Phoenix is famous for being one of the fast-growing cities in the U.S. Millions of people around the globe are encouraged to move to Arizona for plenty of reasons. From warm weather to beautiful attractions, you’ll love to relocate to Phoenix. If you want a laid-back lifestyle, keep this article in mind to know whether Phoenix is the right place for you.