How to Pack and Move a Mattress
rating based on 2.3K+ reviews on
Moving to a new place is an exciting chapter in life, but it often comes with its fair share of challenges, especially when it comes to packing and transporting bulky items like mattresses. Whether you’re relocating to a new home or simply need to move your mattress to a different room, knowing how to properly pack and move it is essential to ensure its safety and longevity.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of packing and moving a mattress like a pro.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
Before you embark on the mattress-moving journey, it’s essential to gather the necessary supplies:
- Mattress box or bag: Many moving companies, including Roadway Moving, offer specialized mattress boxes or bags that provide an extra layer of protection during the move.
- Packing tape: Strong packing tape will help secure the mattress box or bag and keep it in place.
- Straps or ropes: These are useful for securing the mattress to the moving vehicle or dolly.
- Blankets or padding: Extra layers of protection to prevent any bumps or scratches.
- Helper(s): Moving a mattress is a two-person job, so make sure to enlist some help.
Step 2: Prepare the Mattress
- Remove bedding: Strip off all bedding, including sheets, blankets, and pillows.
- Clean the mattress: Before packing, give your mattress a thorough cleaning to ensure it’s free of dust and debris.
- Inspect for damage: Check for any existing damage, such as tears or stains, and document them. This will help in case you need to file a claim with your moving company.
Step 3: Encase the Mattress
- Use a mattress box or bag: If you’ve opted for a mattress box or bag provided by your moving company, carefully slide your mattress into it. These specialized boxes are designed to fit your mattress perfectly, providing optimum protection.
- Seal the box or bag: Once the mattress is inside the box or bag, seal it tightly with packing tape. Ensure there are no gaps or openings where dust or moisture could enter.
Step 4: Protect and Pack
- Add padding: Place blankets or padding on the floor of the moving vehicle to create a cushioned surface.
- Lay the boxed mattress: Carefully place the boxed mattress on top of the padding, making sure it’s centered.
Step 5: Secure the Mattress
- Strap it down: Use straps or ropes to secure the mattress box to the moving vehicle or dolly. Make sure it’s snugly fastened to prevent shifting during transit.
Step 6: Unpacking
- Careful unwrapping: Once you’ve arrived at your new location, carefully remove the mattress from the box or bag.
- Allow time to breathe: Before putting bedding back on, allow the mattress to air out for a few hours to ensure any trapped moisture evaporates.
Bonus Tips: What Not to Do When Moving a Mattress?
Although you have already learned what you should do in order to move a mattress the best way, it’s also worth mentioning what shouldn’t be done when moving a mattress.
- Don’t Drag the Mattress: Dragging a mattress across the floor or ground can lead to tears, snags, and damage to the fabric and edges. Always lift the mattress with the help of another person or a dolly to prevent unnecessary wear and tear.
- Avoid Bending the Mattress: Mattresses are designed to be supportive and comfortable when lying flat. Bending or folding the mattress can compromise its structure, leading to permanent damage. Keep your mattress flat during the move.
Moving a mattress doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By following these step-by-step instructions and taking advantage of options like mattress boxes, you can ensure your mattress arrives at its new destination in pristine condition.
Proper packing and handling will not only protect your investment but also ensure you have a comfortable and good night’s sleep in your new space.