How to Move with Pets
rating based on 1K+ reviews on
Moving is a stressful venture for all people. So, imagine how stressful it can be for your pets. Your pet friends are used to the routine, and changing the environment may be a shock for them. However, there’s no need to worry about how to move with pets. Roadway Moving NYC is here to help you organize the whole process so that your furry friends stay calm. Our Manhattan movers will safely handle your possessions so you can focus on getting your fur babies to their new home. Below are some tips for moving with pets. Follow these steps, and both you and your beloved pets will have a safe, stress-free, and enjoyable relocation.
Table of Contents
Moving with pets is similar to moving with children
Relocation on its own is an overwhelming and challenging venture since there are many tasks to be finished. From obtaining the necessary documents to organizing the whole moving process, which is not easy especially when you have pets. Relocation with pets can be compared to relocation with children. Although it may seem easier, moving with pets is more complex than moving with children. And if you have both, it will add to the complexity. However, this venture doesn’t have to be difficult if you have the right kind of help. Luckily, you don’t have to do everything by yourself. Our long distance and local movers NYC are here to give you a hand.
How to move with a pet? Things you need to know
Before planning the move, you should make pre-move preparations related to your pet. Namely, you should obtain the necessary documentation, starting from your pet’s vet record to pet entry regulations of the state you are about to move to (if you are moving to another country). Then, you ought to consider the transportation options. Some long distance moving companies offer transportation services, but you should contact them and check. After finishing this, you can move on to planning your residential move. Still, you should customize the plan according to your pet’s routine so that they don’t become anxious. To prepare your pet in the best possible way for the move, you should contact your vet for advice since vets know how to reduce your pet’s anxiety.
Key steps to make your relocation with pets easier
Honestly, moving with pets won’t be a piece of cake. However, the good news is that with a little bit of forethought and a lot of planning, you can ensure a stress-free move for your pets. Here are some useful tips & tricks to make your pet relocation smooth, simple, safe, and worry-free:
- Consider the timing: Timing is precious when it comes to relocation. Determine what is the best moment to move with your pet and make a moving timeline. It will help you stay organized and keep up with all the relocation tasks.
- Research your new area: Changing your pet’s environment can be a huge problem for your little friend, so think about its adaptation. Take your pet to a new destination and let it explore it. A recognizable environment will help your pet get accustomed to new life.
- Find some help: Hire residential moving companies to help you pack and transport your belongings.
- Secure your old and new home: Pets, such as dogs and cats are always running around, and a crowded home can be a huge danger for them. Avoid your pets getting hurt by securing your home while packing. The best way to achieve this is to adapt one corner of your house where your pets can stay. Also, don’t leave breakable items on the floor.
Get in touch with your vet and obtain the necessary information and documents
Vets know a lot about pets and how to manage stressful situations. They are an excellent resource for any questions you might have about how to move with pets and reduce the anxiety level. So, it would be a good idea to visit your vet before you move. However, advice about how to move with pets is not the only thing you’ll need from the vet. You should take your pets to the examination and obtain the necessary documents for the move. So, do the following:
- Check if all vaccinations are up to date and get recent vaccination certificates.
- Request a copy of your pet’s medical files and records if you need to change vets. You can ask your vet for a recommendation for a new vet.
- Get regular prescriptions to avoid emergency visits during your relocation.
- Do additional tests or vaccinations if moving out of state.
- Ask the vet for potential stress-reduction tips or purchase supplements to help ease your pet’s anxiety.
Moving out of state with your pet? Inform yourself about pet laws
You know how difficult it may be to move with your pets to another country. There is a lot of bureaucracy behind this. So, make sure you have all necessary documentation with you so to avoid potential customs problems. First, make sure your pet’s ID is up to date and that you have all vet records. Keep those files at hand and make a backup copy. The last thing you need is to be caught in a law problem. Do thorough research beforehand so nothing surprises you. If your pet is not microchipped, don’t forget to do it before you move. If yes, update its information – you can do this online.
While you are dealing with bureaucratic tasks, make sure there’s someone who will handle the relocation ones. Luckily, you don’t have to search any further. Use White Gloving moving NYC help and ensure peace of mind.
Tips to make your pre-move with pets easier
Since there are many relocation tasks to finish on time, you will be very busy and your pets may feel it. So, you should find a way that the relocation doesn’t affect your pets much. Following are some useful tips and tricks on how to make the move easier for your furry friends:
- Avoid changing your routine to reduce your pet’s stress: Pets (especially dogs and cats) are animals of routine. The more your routine changes, the higher their stress level is likely to increase.
- Keep your pets entertained: Although this is pretty hard to achieve with so many relocation obligations, find a way to spend time with your pet friends. Making a little extra time to entertain your pets will be beneficial for them.
- Ensure a comfortable, sheltered space for your pet: Boxes, piles of things, and furniture may increase your pet’s anxiety and easily become their mounting place. It may lead to injuries. So, to avoid this, make some space for your pet but make sure it’s not secluded much.
To organize properly and finish moving tasks on time, use our ultimate moving checklist and you’ll move like a pro.
Have a small apartment? Here’s what to do
Making space for your pet is easy when you have a spacious home, but what to do when you live in a small apartment? Well, small apartments are difficult to pack because there are a lot of people. So, a crowded space can make your pet anxious. But don’t worry, we have a solution for you. Hire our small apartment movers NYC and ensure a peaceful relocation. They will handle everything, from making a moving plan to packing up your belongings and disassembling your furniture. You won’t have to lift a finger which means you’ll have more time to spend with your beloved pets. Believe us, your pets would be grateful.
Now, you probably wonder where to spend that much time with your pets. Well, there are several solutions to this. You can rent a temporary home but it means that you’ll have to adapt your pet again to the new environment. If this is too much, you can use pet-friendly accommodations such as pet hotels if you’ve used them before. This way, your pet won’t experience a huge change.
How to pack your pet’s belongings?
Whether you are planning a local or a long-distance move, you will need to pack a “suitcase” for your pets. This bag should include all necessary food, medication, water bottle or bowl, and of course, their favorite toys. Moving is stressful, especially for our pets, and packing anything that will keep them calm and preoccupied will benefit everyone in transit. If you need help with packing your pet’s stuff, and your belongings in general, you can use our packing services NYC. Our movers will make sure to provide you with the latest packing supplies and equipment necessary for loading your items into the moving truck.
The moving day involves a lot of stress and commotion that can make your pets uncomfortable. It can be a good idea to arrange to have your pets stay at a friend’s house or at a pet hotel for a day or two while you move. Otherwise, you can keep them in a quiet, familiar room while the movers are working. The goal is to keep your pets calm and happy during the moving day. Here are some tips on how to entertain your pets on a moving day:
- If you have kids, ask them to take the dog for a walk. If not, ask a friend to do that.
- If you have a garden, let your dog run but secure the pathways.
- Buy new toys and let the pet play in the garden.
Moving day is the busiest day. Many unpredictable things can occur and injuries are more likely to happen. To avoid this and have a smooth and safe moving day, refer to our Moving day checklist. It will help you remain systematic and safe.
After the move: Allow your pets to “settle in”
You and your family will need time to settle into their new home and so will your pets. Allow them to walk around all the rooms and the yard so that they can get acquainted with the new space. Don’t be alarmed if it takes them a few days to feel comfortable in their new home. This is normal behavior for both pets and humans when they move. However, there’s one thing to do before settling down in your new home.
Make sure your new home is pet-proof before you move with pets
In general, when you are “pet-proofing” your new home, you should check the same things that you would if you had a small child. Here are a few basic things you should do before letting your pets move into their new home:
- Make sure no electrical outlets or cords are exposed.
- Secure any holes or nooks they may crawl into and get stuck.
- Make sure there are no poisonous plants in your garden
- Make sure your pet cannot escape through a window, doorway, or fence.
Doing these things will give you and your pets peace of mind as you move into your new home. Now you can focus on making your new home pet-friendly, and cozy.
Move with pets in a secure and smooth way – Choose Roadway Moving NYC
Move with pets smoothly, safely, and worry-free. Choose Roadway Moving NYC and have a seamless move. Our professional movers NYC are at your disposal any time and anywhere. They’ll treat your pet and your belongings with the utmost care and devotion. Avoid the stress that relocation imposes and ensure an enjoyable move for you and your pet friends. Contact us today, get your moving quote, and have a seamless and affordable relocation.