Moving Day is one of the most emotionally stressful days of your life, and the last thing you need is excessive physical stress to add to the mix. Between lifting heavy boxes and moving furniture, nothing can destroy the smooth flow of your move like a sudden back injury that sends a family member to the hospital.
Whether you are moving from one floor to another or from the Bronx to Manhattan, moving safety should be your top priority! There are so many unexpected problems that can happen during a move, and even the smallest amount of carelessness can result in an injury that might have permanent repercussions.
You Should Follow These Critical Moving Day Safety Tips:
- 1. Like sports, moving is a strenuous physical activity that requires vigorous stretching to help prevent muscle cramps and other signs of inadequate physical preparation. For moves involving stairs or long walks while carrying heavy items, it is especially important to stretch your legs.
- 2. Ensure that all items are packed in boxes that can handle the weight and pressure of the item. This helps avoid not only damage to your belongings but also painful injuries in case the box breaks mid-move.
- 3. Always lift with your legs and not your back. Squatting and maintaining posture while lifting a heavy object protects the spine from unnecessary stress, thereby preventing injury.
- 4. Keep your arms close to your body. A move is no time to dispute the laws of physics, which clearly state that proximity results in easier lifting.
- 5. As with most things in life, patience is key. This means taking the move one step at a time and ensuring that every item is lifted and transported properly – including problematic items that are difficult to grip.
- 6. Anticipate potential obstacles that may stand in the way of proper moving safety. Hazards such as boxes, packing tape, slippery floors, uneven walkways, etc. can all lead to a slip and fall accident.
- 7. Have a first aid kit available for immediate access. Some of the minor injuries, like scrapes or bruises, can be easily brought under control with the right equipment and prevent you from losing precious work time.
- 8. Hire a team of professional movers, who are specially trained to navigate the home environment while moving and avoid common mistakes that cause injury. Furthermore, a synchronized team performing the work as one helps the move proceed more smoothly.
Let Roadway Moving, Move Your Home or Office For You!
Why risk your and your family’s well-being during a relocation when you can partner with Roadway Moving for unsurpassed moving safety? Our movers are fully licensed, insured, and committed to performing moves with the optimal efficiency and safety across the entire NYC area. Please do not hesitate to call us today!